Intelligent Network Optimization
|Author: Antonino Canale|
May 12, 2020
Is your network capacity correctly dimensioned for sudden traffic spikes during special events or extraordinary scenarios?
Are you sure those key performance indicators are reflecting real end-user experience?
How will your network perform during the next public bench-marking campaign?
Those questions are continuously bothering many CTOs and CEOs around the globe. Answers aren’t that easy.
One of the key factors that will enable operators to answer those questions is observability and intelligence.
Mobile networks are formed by many network elements and solutions, one being probes. Probes generate a great deal of information every second in the form of counters, signalling flows and performance indicators. Without a deep understanding of the technology, network functionalities and features, and without the ability to collect and correlate such information, most of this data will remain hidden.
This is where our intelligence comes into play.
Thanks to our massive experience in R&D and network optimization, and by leveraging our AI/ML use cases applied to processes improvement, we’re able to understand those indicators and messages, correlate the different data sources and identify areas to be improved. We can then recommend the right network changes and forecasting the benefits with high accuracy.
There are 5 steps in Aspire’s Intelligent Network Optimization process:
- Define: firstly, we identify areas of improvement, forecast impacts and plan the actions recommended to exceed targeted key performance indicators. It is at this point where we establish how exactly the operator’s goals such as revenue, churn or OpEx reduction will be impacted through our optimization activities.
- Measure: in this step we collect and aggregate the right indicators, using vendor existing formulae, or our own set of Key Quality Indicators. We define new metrics that capture real end-user experience and take a holistic approach of the network, drilling down from a macro level to per cell and even subscriber view.
- Analyse: it is in this phase where we most leverage our deep network knowledge, +20y experience and lessons learned to understand what those collected indicators are really telling us, and how our actions will truly impact the operator’s business goals. This phase will create the foundation for an impactful optimization plan.
- Improve: after collecting and analyzing all relevant indicators we move our project to the improvement phase. This phase is dedicated to implementing the right network changes to bring expected performance improvements.
- Control: finally, we will make sure our positive impact will last over time. During this stage we leverage our AI/ML algorithms to enhance our monitoring and control systems to predict potential performance degradation.
Aspire’s Intelligent Network Optimization process was recently applied to one of our customers who was struggling for years to improve their public bench-marking scoring against their biggest competitor.
Our customer’s competitor was able to achieve slightly better network performances and end-user experience due to huge investment in spectrum capacity and new antennae deployed across the country but, thanks to Aspire, our customer was able to close the final scoring gap from 16% to 2.7% without the same investment.
This performance improvement had positive impact on voice quality and date end-user experience bringing direct revenue increase and churn reduction.
Each network will require customized optimization processes so Aspire’s model is fully adaptable to each technologies, domains or vendors.
Let us squeeze your network assets to its full potential!
If you have any questions on this topic, I would be happy to answer, just email me on email@example.com.